Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Attitude...Improving It!!!

I've been doing my usual "deep thinking" lately, which isn't good cause it gets me down, which is LAME cause I've had some GRRREAT times with family & friends (old & new)!! Just the other day I was talking with a dear friend about memories...how is it that some of the best memories can be buried deep in our consciences, yet the not-so-good ones are readily available & nearly impossible to forget?!?! Don't get me wrong...I pride myself on being a "rememberer"...almost TOO good...what I'm referring to is times, people & experiences that should not be dwelt on that just can't seem to get out of my head!! It's VERY frustrating!! All well..."life goes on and life is good"!!! (MA.T.)

Of course I know that life has it's challenges & my family hasn't had the best of luck lately with medical issues...Father in the hospital with bleeding ulcers, Jodester wiping out on the Alpine Slide, & Mother having a 12-pound cyst removed from her abdomen. But then there are good things coming about as well...baby Charlotte due ANY DAY NOW!!!

Well...with all this going on I've been trying to think of ways that I can improve my attitude...not only personal but professional as well!! One of my all-time favorite quotes on attitude is from Charles Swindoll:
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.
Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than failures, than successes. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company. . . a church. . . a home.
The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past. . . we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is attitude. . . . I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

A GRRREAT example of this positive attitude is a gentle-man by the name of George D Durrant. I first met Bro Durrant while on my mission in the Great White North. Bro Durrant was serving as a CES missionary & EVERYtime anyone greeted this fine brother & aksed him how he was doing he would reply: "My Best Day So Far!!" It didn't matter how many people aksed him it was always the same response!!

All this being said, my boss sent me the following in an email earlier today that I feel is good enough to share with EVERYONE:

Do You Want a Smile With That?
By: Michelle Joyce

The McDonald’s drive thru in Huntersville, North Carolina, has personal face-to-face service. (I actually put my car in reverse because I thought I had missed the intercom!) When I drove up to the window, the friendliest guy on the planet greeted me with an energetic, “Good Morning! How are you today?” I was stunned.

I am not a big fan of fast food – or their lack of customer service – but when I drove through this particular McDonald’s to get a cup of coffee on my way to work, my attitude changed. This smiling employee actually put me in a better mood.

He was happy and friendly. He greeted me and engaged me in conversation before he took my order. He then offered a variety of options that I didn’t know existed. A simple cup of coffee turned into a medium, sugar-free vanilla, non-fat latte. And when the transaction was over, he thanked me, wished me well, and told me to “drive safely” on my way to work.

I received better customer service in those 30 seconds, than I did when I bought a brand new car last year. And this guy didn’t even work on commission.

As I drove to work, I continued to think about the transaction. Salespeople often get into a routine of saying the same thing, in the same tone, and in the same sequence every day. But this worker’s positive attitude and desire to serve was inspiring. I didn’t expect this type of “VIP treatment” at a fast food joint, and I was blown away at the pride that this gentleman took in his job. The more I recalled the event, the more I realized… if this guy could evoke this much emotion from me over a medium, sugar-free vanilla, non-fat latte, then what kind of a difference could I make in the lives of my prospective customers today? I was up for the challenge.

The plan was simple. All I had to do was follow the three steps that made this transaction so memorable:

1. Start with a smile and engage your prospect in a friendly manner. Would you do business with someone you didn’t like? Well, neither would your prospect. This guy made me like him – immediately. And when he made that connection, the transaction became enjoyable. And it was all about me, not just my order.

2. Offer alternative solutions. People want choices. And just because you can recite all the bells and whistles of your products in your sleep, don’t assume that your customer is aware of them. Uncover their needs and help them make a choice. McDonald's already mastered the upsell technique with their famous line, “Do you want fries with that?” What kind of additional features and services can you upsell? Better asked, what kind of additional revenue are you leaving on the table at every sale?

3. End the transaction with something memorable. When is the last time that a fast food worker told you to “drive safely”? I am used to the generic lines of “thank you” and “have a nice day”; but this guy was genuinely concerned about my personal safety. (Or at least he made me feel that way.) What are you saying to your customers that make them remember you personally? What differentiates you from every other salesperson?

The plan is simple. But it’s not a matter of understanding these principles; it’s a matter of you actually practicing them every day. I am thankful that a friendly person reminded me of what it takes to be great in sales and service. I needed that kind of jolt to refocus my attention to the simple details that work – and away from the “doom” that everyone keeps talking about. The reality is that people are still buying products and services in this economy. The only question is will they buy them from you?

Focus on these three steps today:
1. Greet a new friend.
2. Up sell something.
3. And make them remember you.

Oh, and if you are ever in Huntersville, North Carolina, stop by the McDonalds on Statesville Road. Ask for Burg – he will take excellent care of you. (be careful of the up sell!)

**Sales Caffeine Issue 404, Aug 4 2009, Jeffrey Gitomer (Publisher), http://www.gitomer.com/salesMagazine/PrintableEzine.html?key=ajcdMibak3OArFpX8WdWvA%3D%3D

These principles don't have to apply just to "sales"!! They can apply to ALL aspects of our lives!! I always hear "can one person really make a difference?!" Well...I believe they can!! I LOVE the movie "Pay It Forward"...even though it's depressing as H***!!! The underlying point is what really matters!! "Things" have to start someplace & why not with me (or you)!!! I hope that I can take what I've written into my life daily...NO...every second!!!

LYB!!!!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Hey Scott, I've been watching your blog in hopes I'd see when that baby comes. I'm so sad to hear that health has been poor. Is there anything I can do?