Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Churchy" Weekend!!!

This was a weekend full of "churchy" activities!!

Friday night was the Orem University 16th Ward Christmas Dinner @ Aspen Grove up Provo Canyon above Sundance Ski Resort!! I was asked by Bishop Sunderland to share a thought/poem/experience re: the True Meaning of Christmas!! Here is a little of what I shared with the Ward...

For the last month or so I've been thinking a LOT about getting back to my "old" self of focusing on others rather than myself!! I've been contemplating methods of accomplishing this!! My brother Jared's girlfriend, Michole, has helped me a TON with this!! She has got me involved in a committee that she's a part of called the Global Health Committee!! So far it's a small group of students from the UofU!! They are hoping to expand GRRRREATLY!! From this committee & also from Michole I've found out about another group called The Global OutREACH Foundation!! I haven't done much research nor talked with the founders yet on this committee, but you can see from their website that they have GOOD intentions!! I will blog more about this after I know more!! Anyhow...to continue...

I shared a little bit from Pres Monson's First Presidency Message (December 2008 Ensign) titled "Best Christmas Ever". Pres Monson quoted Pres David O McKay saying:


"True happiness comes only by making others happy—the practical application of the Savior’s doctrine of losing one’s life to gain it. In short, the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit, that makes our hearts glow in brotherly love and friendship and prompts us to kind deeds of service.

"It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring ‘peace on earth,’ because it means—good will toward all men."


I then shared an experience from a couple years back where Charlie & I went to the Homeless Shelter on Christmas Eve morning to make bologna sandwiches. My eyes were opened!! I'd NEVER thought of a "Christmas Feast" consisting of a bologna sandwich!!

Saturday morning I went to my "new" Ward's Christmas Brunch with The Landlord & family!! It was one of the better "bulk" breakfasts I've ever had & there was a nice Primary program, conducted by Britnee!! There are certain aspects of the "home" Ward life that I REALLY miss!! I'm glad that I'm going to be able to get back to it!!

Saturday night I went to this year's Latter-Day Celebration Choir's Christmas Program titled "A Season of Angels"!! How appropriate for the week I've had!!! It was VERY good & VERY nice to see some old Friendly faces!! It was ESPECIALLY nice when one friend, Jessica B, approached me & said that she didn't recognize me at first...with the beard & more importantly...the weight loss!! It's ALWAYS nice when people recognize AND comment on the weight loss!! It a TERRIFIC motivator!!!

All-in-all...It was a ANOTHER weekend FULL of reminiscing & retrospecting!! This weekend, in particular, has been one of remembering the MANY Christmas' of yore!! I'm SOOO grateful for this time of year!! The time where EVERY moment spent with my Family is one that I cherish DEEPLY!!! I LOVE you ALL very much & am VERY grateful for the times & experiences we've had!!

LYB!!!!!

No comments: